Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Cutting Back

I don't like to make sacrifices financially. Of course, I can't have everything I want because it's not monetarily possible, but I have to admit that even when I'm facing rough financial times I very rarely cut back on things like eating out, buying beauty products, or reducing the amount of electricity we use. Lately though, the stress of being less than fiscally responsible is taking it's toll. I think I've finally gotten to the point where I'd rather do without something and instead be able to pay my electric bill without heavy negotiations with the power company. This has led me to some serious considerations about what needs to go for awhile.

1.) Coffee. I can drink cheap coffee and forgo those Keurig K-Cups I love so much.  I've convinced myself that travel mugs make my coffee taste like plastic or metal, but in reality this is probably just rationalization for that cup of Dunkin' Doughnuts on my way to school.

2.) Contrary to what I've told myself, turning off lights and fans before leaving the house is not really that much of a buzz kill.

3.) Generic beauty products are ok even for Lydia (gasp).

4.) It's ok to just have basic, local cable channels.

5.) I can't continue to eat out. It's ridiculous and probably drains most of my money.

6.) I may not like the clothes I have now, but I don't need more especially when half my life is spent in scrubs.

So now that I've told you these things, I fully expect you to call me on it if you see a Starbucks cup in any of my photos.

3 comments:

  1. It's so hard to cut things out sometimes! Coffee was a big one for me. We got a Keurig for Christmas and I found myself spending even more money on coffee then I did when I went out everyday. I bought one of the reusable k-cups and the cheap store brand coffee to save money....it took some getting used to but I've noticed the savings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. coffee was the first place that i cut when i started to save money!
    and i also got in the habit of turning off all the lights too. i find that it keeps the room a lot cooler when i get back.
    found my way to your blog from a friends!
    xx jes, new follower

    www.twosmuppies.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made my hubby put up a clothes line. I can't wait until it gets blazing hot so I can hang out my clothes like my grandmother did. That's my idea of saving money too!

    ReplyDelete